Pages

6.17.2013

Property Virgins

We have been house shopping the past couple of weeks. If only it was as easy as choosing one and placing it in a cart at Wal-Mart. Instead I feel like I'm on an episode of House Hunters that never ends. This process has certainly been an interesting experience and while I'm no expert on this subject, we have already learned so much. Here are a few things we have discovered so far...

Get Approved
This was the first step we made. We were really nervous about this because it just feels so surreal when you start thinking of the potential to own a home. Plus having someone evaluate your incomes, credit, etc. is scary. Our biggest fear was that they were going to tell us we couldn't buy a home. Not that we have anything against us, we I tend to worry about the worst case scenario. Turns out we got approved within one business day and for much more than we ever imagined which leads me to my second tip for new homebuyers.

Stay Low
Even though we got approved for a large amount, we know that unless we want to eat beans and rice for the rest of our lives, we have to pretend that number is much lower. I'd love to go way low but realistically we are going to have to find a comfort amount to spend because honestly the location we need doesn't have super cheap houses unless we found a short sale or foreclosure.

Seek Wisdom
This one is tricky. I love gaining wisdom from people who have "been there, done that." We want to make the decisions we can in this process and learn from others mistakes. We have to remind ourselves that not everyones circumstances will work for us so we still ultimately have to make the best decision for us. Everyone will have an opinion on some part of the process so we have to choose what to receive. The best place for some advice is from your realtor and we are thankful to have an awesome one. Parents are great too and close friends. I also put a status up on Facebook asking for advice and within minutes had so many great responses. There were a few things we had not put too much thought on and decided to reevaluate our decisions thus far.


Keep your Chin Up
My realtor has told me this several times. Especially when we lost in a bidding war on a house we really really liked. That was tough. But ultimately we place our trust in the Lord and know that it will all work out in the right time. I find comfort in that. Also having great family and friends to remind you that most people deal with the same ups and downs is encouraging. My friend Ash has always been my "one step ahead of me friend" and I value that so much. She got married first, bought a house first and has a babe on the way. All that to say, she doesn't mind to answer questions and give great encouragement. Make sure you have a friend like that.



Other stuff we have had to think hard about is...
buy or build?
starter home or forever home?
NC or SC?
School Districts?
and much more!

In all this process hasn't been horrific (yet). I haven't cried once so that's a good sign for me. I almost panicked today when my landlord told me that the owner of our townhouse may be moving back which means as soon as she makes up her mind, we would have 45 days to be out. I haven't felt pressure to find a house yet and wasn't expecting that but now that may change. However, I'm working on the whole let go and let God thing so whatever happens, happens. 

I'll keep you all updated as the house hunting journey continues. No happy ending just yet. I'm sure we will learn so much more as time moves forward. In the meantime, if you yourself have any great advice, let us know! 

-Sara