As I reflect on my childhood with my own mother, we had some great times and some typical hard times. But never, ever, did I ever feel like I was in mom's way or that she wished she never had me. That is an incredible feeling. I'm not sure everyone can say the same in this world so I realize that I have a special gift. My mom is truly one of my best friends. I can call her anytime and often I'm the one doing the complaining but she just listens. She fights for me. Not physically, but she has taught me to stand up for what is right. Basically, "she's got my back!"
I have this printed out and framed. It is so true!
This past year I also gained another mother, Todd's mom. I prayed for a long time that whoever I marry would have a mother that would accept me for who I am and that we would get along. I'm very thankful for Carol and the relationship I have with her. I've been able to open up to her and have some great discussions that I would have with my own mother. She has great qualities about her that I admire. Often Todd even laughs and says, "I married my mother!" Honestly, I take that as a compliment. The number one thing we have common is our love for Todd. I have mad respect for her for raising him (& Matt) as a single mom. She did a great job. She also does a great job of letting me be his wife and letting her be his mom, a mom that doesn't "baby" him anymore. Plus, she always likes my outfits even if Todd doesn't ;)
Thank you Moms! I love you both SO much! It was great to hang out with you each this weekend. Thanks for all you do!
-S
