Pages

2.22.2011

Old School is Cool


All this week I have been studying for a cataloging test. Yup, cataloging. As in the old fashion way of writing typing on an index card all the information about a book.

Did you know?

...that works such as the Bible, Mother Goose & the Three Bears are called Uniform Title meaning an agreed standard title for the work....
...the author or title on the actual card catalog is described as main entry, not just title/author...
...the info on the back of the title page is called verso...

I could also get into how I have now memorized all the Dewey classification numbers but I'll save you the boredom. Despite how this post sounds, I do love my graduate studies. Except the art of cataloging. We don't get along and all the lingo is weird but I know its something I need to learn therefore I will. However, please take note I have no intentions of ever being a cataloger and these days most cataloging is done via computer anyways.

Technology makes things so much easier and efficient. Even though the process of old fashion cataloging makes me want to pull my hair out, I do have a secret love for it. My dad talks about when he used to go to the library he would have to look in the catalog through the cards to find his book. I can't imagine doing that. Yet still there is something about seeing an old card catalog that warms my heart. Our campus library has started getting rid of these cards and using them as scratch paper. One day I found myself looking at them for at least twenty minutes. Anyways, enough about that, finally my point. Maybe somewhere in your heart you find old card catalogs interesting as well. I have a love for all things antique. That is why today, in the spirit of catalogs I wanted to share something that I found years ago that is a semi-DIY idea.

Thanks to blyberg.net  you can generate your very own card catalog. Confused? Here is the idea: you can write a love note, catalog your old favorite book, special day or gift tag. Here is what I'm thinking: for the call number I want to do something that incorporates our wedding date such as 528.2011 which actually mimics a Dewey call number. For the title (main entry-trying to embed those words in my head for my test, remember) I think I will do something such as The Story of Todd and Sara. Then for description I'll either write a little summary about how we met or maybe I'll write about the wedding day. Possibilities are endless so go give it a try and have some fun with it! Wish I had one made up for you to see but as soon as I do (and framed) I will post about it.

PS: my favorite part is the scribble areas...how cute! Let me know if you try any, I'd love to see them!

Sara