Pages

1.31.2013

Enjoy Great Moments

Throwback: Great Moment #188389210 of my life.
First camping trip.
First viewing of the sunrise from on top of the world.
A huge hug to the one who encouraged me to climb that mountain, meet new friends and soak in great moments.
Confession: I tend to not enjoy great moments. Sounds ridiculous right? Let me explain.

Yesterday a coworker of mine told me about a great sermon she heard that she thought I would like just as much as her. The sermon is by Chip Ingram and is titled, Enjoy Great Moments. I have never heard a pastor preach so specifically on this topic. Here are some key points that struck me the most summarized by me with my thoughts:


  • We live our whole lives being told, "Do your homework and THEN you can go outside and play. Eat your veggies, THEN you can have dessert..." You get the idea. All of these things aren't bad practices IF you are a 3rd grader. But we are adults now and that mentality is sometimes carried over into adulthood. I totally do this most of the time! I have this huge to do list that is constantly rotating in my head and I think that if I get this done, THEN I can relax. I really needed to hear that and be reminded that as adults we will always have a to do list so instead of that "if this, then that" lifestyle, just know that the Lord wants and loves for us to be joyful. 

  • What if we are missing blessings that the Lord is revealing to us because we are stuck dwelling on everything else? This part seriously made me tear up. I sure don't want to miss anything from the Lord but yet I'm sure I have done this.

  • Stop feeling guilty for having fun. Yup, I totally do this one too. In the midst of great moments, I catch myself thinking ahead, planning, etc. Such a terrible cycle to be in. 

This message was so liberating for me. Not all of us have this issue, but I just had to share in case anyone else ever feels the same way I do. Take 40 minutes of your day, listen and be blessed. You certainly want to hear part two where he discusses practical steps on how to enjoy great moments.

You can hear the message by clicking here and look for Enjoy Great Moments (Part 1 and 2). I'm looking forward to listening to the others in this series. Click on the message notes to get the scriptures and a sermon guide. If you listen, tell me what you think!

-S