I used to think Boone was such a safe place. That opinion completely changed last night. Let me set the scene for you. Todd just got home from band practice and I just finished washing our dirty dishes around 9:30 pm. The apartment was blessed hot again so we decided to sit out on our bedroom balcony deck to get some fresh air and talk about our day. A faint glow from our bedroom table lamp was the only nearby light so it was just enough to see each other's faces. Our balcony faces a three story apartment building where we primarily see the backside. The backside of the large apartment complex faces nothing but a little grassy area and a drop off to the river.
After talking for a few minutes a man darts out from the back of the building. The man takes note of us sitting on the balcony and appears to act strange. In fact he keeps his eyes on us while he darts up to the third floor of the apartment building. Todd and I immediately had a "bad" feeling so Todd proceeded to tell me to call the cops. While I was identifying the male to the police station, Todd went downstairs and began walking to the front of the complex. Todd rushes back in to tell me to call the police station back and tell them that the man is now on the third floor peeping into a bedroom window and doing inappropriate things.
I was in complete shock.
My fears and instincts were ringing true. I so desperately wanted it to just be a guy playing a joke on a friend or some college joke. Still in disbelief, I called the police again and reported what Todd saw. Suddenly Todd and myself turned into crime stoppers as we made the mutual decision to get in our car and drive to the front of the complex and watch. Keep in mind I was still in disbelief of what Todd saw. But then with my own eyes I witnessed the sick pervert in action. Within seconds a cop arrived, witnessed his behavior and busted him by waving his flashlight in his face. I can't lie, that was a pretty rewarding moment.
From that moment on we watch two more cop cars arrive and a little investigation began. We could hear the man arguing with the cops. The police knocked on the victims door but we never saw who opened it nor did they associate themselves with the sicko. Therefore we knew our instincts were right. The man really was a peeping Tom. The police proceeded to arrest the man and we went back to our place to simmer down. I lost all since of security once back inside. Todd was very comforting and prayed for us. We know the man most likely knows who called the cops on him and we are hopeful the man wasn't in his right mind so maybe he will forget about the whole locking eyes things we did with him.
All that to say, we were very rattled and shocked we saw something like that. Also we never sit on our balcony at night so I have to keep reminding myself that we were suppose to be out there even if it was just to bust a creeper. I'm more aware now than ever of how sick people are in this world. I've also thought about how bad he must have got the crap scared out of him by the cops so in a weird way that makes me feel better.
Pretty sure Antoine Dodson would be proud of us...
Sunday I was also the witness to a terrible car accident on the interstate. Having to call the police twice in one week is something I'd rather not do. What is up with that? Now I just hope the rest of the week is much calmer...
and remember, hide your husband too!
-Sara