Well friends I had my first encounter at a thrift store where apparently something you pick up was something someone else wanted and suddenly they get mad they didn't pick it up first....
Let me recap.
I went to a local thrift store that is known for low price furniture. I went in looking only for bedside lamps since you all know the frustration I'm having with finding some. As I'm scoping out the place I see the cutest ottoman which would work well at the foot of our guest bed with a blanket tossed on it. Well I decide to test drive the ottoman just as I do all products from thrift stores. I sit on it. I sit on a nearby couch and put my legs on it for fun. I turn it over and discover it is by La-Z-boy. Did I mention it was only $2! I declared it mine and I picked it up to take to the register but then I hear two women shout really loud across the store causing a scene to their other friend....
"SHE GOT IT....YOU LOST IT....YOU SHOULD HAVE PICKED THAT THING UP AS SOON AS YOU SAW IT. (Insert curse word here). "
I was in shock. They were mad at me. But why, because THEY didn't pick it up first. Finders keepers, right? I totally thought that would be the end of it. Um, wrong.
"GOOD LORD WHY DOES SHE NEED IT. I CAN REALLY USE THAT. KEEP AN EYE ON HER, IS SHE SITS IT DOWN GO GRAB IT."
Whoa. Now I'm being followed like I'm a criminal. Not to mention all the nasty things they were saying about a "well dressed girl needs to shop somewhere else" comments along with a new name for me that starts with a B. At this point the entire store is watching this "feud." I just couldn't believe what was happening and now it appeared as if I had taken the ottoman right out of someone's hands. I really was a criminal in their eyes yet when I grabbed it the woman who wanted it was on the OTHER side of the store but her friend was the one who got so upset. Now what I'm about to type will put my mama to shame. I surrendered the ottoman.
In my sweet southern voice I spoke: "Did you realllllllly want this, ma'mm?
"YES I SURE DID AND MEANT TO GRAB IT."
My head was wanting to explode and yell finders keepers but at that point that would have been real rude. So I said, "here...it's not worth fighting for."
So there you have it. The one that got away story. Technically I didn't go in the store looking for an ottoman so I'm resting in the fact that I didn't need it. Have you ever had something like this happen to you? Would you have given it up? Have you ever caved under pressure? Or would you be more like the two women demanding your goods?
For the record they did judge me and it was hurtful. I will not say how they appeared to me on this blog but from their attitudes you can only imagine. Glad I could vent about all that and good news, this story actually has a happy ending that has nothing to do with the ottoman but I'll save that for my next post!
Happy Weekend!!!!
-Sara