I have a secret...I decorated our house for Christmas the week before Thanksgiving! I know, crazy BUT hang with me here. I looked ahead at what our schedules would be like after Thanksgiving and realized we would be swamped with finishing school projects and soon we will be visiting family again. Thus, my reasoning was to get it done so we can actually enjoy the decor. Plus coming home after being away for Thanksgiving to a decorated house was very relaxing.
This week I'll be sharing with you decorations from our home so check back to see what else is new and how we are making our first Christmas together super cozy. I had fun decorating on a budget, gaining ideas from Pinterest and decorating small spaces (oh the joys of living in an apartment).
We opted out of putting up a tree since we would want a real one and we don't feel we can give it the best care with traveling so much this month. Also we really have no place for it and would rather not overcrowd our living space. However, I did pick up this live large beautiful poinsettia at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks. In fact the day I got it, a local florist was bringing them in and something about that made me smile. I wasn't a fan of the metallic wrapping it was in (sorry forgot to take a before pic) so I replaced it with postal paper and some ribbon I had on hand. The Dollar Tree sales the postal paper in a 30 feet roll which was great for this project and I plan to use it for something else this holiday season as well so stay tuned. Also, my secret on ribbon is to buy it after Christmas from places like Garden Ridge or Michaels. I always get mine 90% off! I'm loving the white and gold paired with the red poinsettia.
This picture really doesn't do it justice. I promise the plant looks very charming and warm sitting next to our fireplace in our living room. I'm not the best bow maker either which is surprising because my mom and mother in law are bow masters. Lessons anyone?
I'll post more pictures soon as I reveal what I did for our mantel and squeeze in our Thanksgiving fun including black Friday shopping.
Cheers,
Sara