Pages

10.17.2011

A little slice of history

Well today's post was going to be about our awesome weekend but I figured I may as well blog about some exciting news that happened in our small little town today. Now just for the record this is not meant to be any type of political post that expresses our views or opinions.

Today I was at work and eating my lunch around noon. I checked Facebook and read that the President would now be taking a route through Boone on his way to his next speech. I found it interesting but even more so that roads were beginning to close and our little town wasn't really prepared. Since I take the Appalcart Bus to and from campus, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get home so I made the spontaneous decision to grab all my belongings and just leave work. Thankfully I caught the very last Appalcart (they shut down until 4 pm) and made it home. My curiosity was killing me so by this time I was texting Todd (he was still on campus but had his bike) and decided I'd at least go stand by the main road since it is near our house to see all the excitement. Fortunately, Todd just decided to bike home and take pictures. We waited for about twenty minutes and sure enough this rolled into town....


Todd and I had a great spot and had hardly anyone around us...which is why there is no doubt from this next picture that Mr. President is looking right at Todd.


It all happened so fast and I thought I was videoing but apparently I was not. However, I will not lose any sleep over that so no big deal. Obama made a surprise drive through our college campus then actually got off his bus and went into the Mast General Store to buy some candy.


We were not there so I snagged that photo from the Mast Store's Facebook page. Traffic was still pretty backed up for awhile but we did follow some updates online that told us he spoke to many of the students and residents. Basically he did some quick campaigning in my opinion in such a short amount of time. It was a neat experience to see a President again (I saw Bush Sr. when I was in elementary school). I guess I should add that to the list and check it off now :)

-Sara