Pages

6.20.2011

10 Dolla' Mantel Decor

Decorating our place has been loads of fun. I'm doing my best not to make things too girly and go for more of a simple, shabby, sophisticated look in our home. We are working with many items that we already owned or shopping at thrift stores (nothing beats a good find!). The layout of our apartment pretty much consists of a front door that leads into the kitchen that also overlooks our spacious living room. The centerpiece of the living room is our rock fireplace. A rock fireplace (yes it works and it is wood burning...ahh bring on the snow and cold winter nights) makes this mountain home so cozy so I knew I wanted to make sure that the mantel above it is a true focal point in the room.

We stare at the fireplace just about 80% of the time we are home because we put our flat screen on the mantel. See why decorating the fireplace mantel is crucial? For two weeks I stared at the TV constantly thinking, "ew, something has to be done to disguise that huge TV and bring life to that mantel!"

Here is my solution on a newlywed budget:
On the left I took two white vases I found at Goodwill (.50 each, score!) along with the two small glass candle holders that I gorilla glued (you must get some of this stuff, glues anything!) together. Then I took a glass vase from Dollar Tree along with green moss and filled each one with a candle ($1 at Michaels). To bring in a little bit of the black color from the TV, I used a gift we received of our wedding invitation in this sleek frame. I love all the different heights and simplicity of it all. I also try to pretend that the white vases are super old and would tell some great stories if they could talk. A girl can dream, right?
On the right I took a pitcher we got as a wedding gift (thanks Kala!) and filled it with greenery ($2 bucks at Tuesday Morning). I just thought the pitcher was too unique to put behind a cabinet. I also added a glass full of cork to add texture and a metal D that I got on clearance at Urban Outfitters months ago. I love that the greenery stretches taller than the TV as if it owns that mantel and not the flat screen.


Excuse all the random cords. We are still trying to figure that out as to how we are going to hide them. Anyways, I'm very pleased with my mantel outcome. It is much more pleasing to look at and the best part is that with a few simple switches I can be ready for Fall or Winter by adding some leaves instead of moss or ornaments instead of cork. Oh the possibilities!

Thank goodness at least one thing is completely finished in our house that I'm content with. I'm still trying to find the perfect curtains for our sliding glass patio doors and pictures to fill up our wall collage. All things will come together in time but I'm loving the process! Stay tuned!

-Sara